The Mayo Clinic Diet is an interactive website designed to help you lose weight and keep it off. The site was developed by Mayo Clinic staff including clinical nutritionists, and doctors specializing in endocrinology, psychology, preventative medicine, and weight management.
The focus of the diet is less about losing weight and more about “changing habits” for a lifetime of healthy living and eating. The diet is set up in two phases:
- “Lose It!” is a jump-start phase designed to help people lose up to 6-10 pounds in the first two weeks.
- “Live It!” the maintenance phase that helps you lose 1-2 pounds per week until you have reached your goal weight.
The Mayo Clinic Diet online is based off of the eponymous bestselling book that contains the same “Lose It! Live It!” principles, plus recipes, food journal and more.
Do You Know the Best Diets of 2017?
- Developed by a team of doctors and nutrition experts at one of the renowned medical facilities in the world
- Incorporates lifestyle changes you can actually maintain
- Program is designed for you with options for custom creation
- Simple healthy recipes provided
- Exercise options are given, as well as opportunities for self-challenges
- Includes food tracker, weight tracker and exercise tracker
- Contains a variety of supportive articles
- Currently there is no app; one is reported to be in the works (July 2014)
The Mayo Clinic Diet uses your current weight, height, activity level, and weight loss goal to quickly ascertain your recommended daily caloric intake. Using this calorie number, a meal plan is immediately created that includes three healthy balanced meals and two snacks per day. The diet encourages whole grains, fruits, vegetable and lean protein.
For those who like to follow a pre-set plan, the meal schedule is already in place and even includes a weekly shopping list. For those who like to switch it up a little, meals can easily be swapped and replaced with others that follow the same healthy guidelines.
Food journaling is encouraged as a way to curb emotional eating and make sure dieters stay on track.
The Mayo Clinic Diet has a comprehensive but easy to use fitness plan that encourages safe, realistic daily exercise goals for beginners. It offers several fitness “challenges” for moderate exercise enthusiasts. The Food and Fitness Journal keeps track of each individual’s daily progress.
In addition, the website provides a complete library of articles that address all aspects of weight loss including how to avoid muscle fatigue, defining metabolism, getting the family to exercise together, preventing injury, and much more.
Much like the diet’s approach to nutrition, the Mayo Clinic Diet even includes a weekly exercise planner that has workouts for cardio, yoga, and strength training already built in. Not sure what you want to do for exercise that day? Consult the planner for quick guidance that shows the number of daily reps for each activity.
Mayo Clinic’s Diet, Mayo Clinics Diet, Mayo Clinic Online Diet